Backwards Compatibility

Nintendo_Boy96

I was planning to get a PS5 and I have some questions about backwards compatibility. (1st) Am I able to play PS1 game disc on the PS5. I know I am able to do it on the PS3 and PS4 (I am not sure about PS1 discs on PS4, please correct me if I am wrong). (2nd) Am I able to purchase digital PS1 game on the PS5 PlayStation Store? (3rd) Am I able to play PS2 game discs on PS5 or do I have buy them digitally for the PlayStation Store? (4th) Am I able to play PS3 discs on PS5? I read that I can only stream PS3 games. Is that true?

The PS5 is only BC with PS4 games. There are a number of PS1, 2 & 3 games on the store but most are locked behind PS +, a number are downloadable but most they’re only available to play online (stream).
You may find a small number for purchase. Supposedly if you purchased a PS1 game digitally at any point then you should be able to download it again for free.

So not all PS1 and PS2 games I can buy digitally. Because I am able to purchase PS1 and PS2 from PS3. Is that not the case for the PS5?

Back